VOLBEAT is from Copenhagen, Denmark and was formed in October 2001 by Michael Poulsen, who had previously split up the Danish Heavy metal band DOMINUS. During their 10 years of existence Michael Poulsen and DOMINUS released 4 albums.
As a Swedish Reporter from SLAVESTATE MAG wrote: METALLICA should have hired VOLBEAT as songwriters for their “Load” and “Re-Load” albums. Others have said: This is ELVIS-metal.
In 2002 VOLBEAT release their self-titled debut demo. The response was moderate, and it wasn’t until the release of their “Beat the meat” demo from 2003 that things really started happening.
Songs from the “Beat the meat” demo has been aired on Swedish Radio top 30, and has been one of the ten most played songs with the track “Soulweeper” , and also the French Radio have had the track “Danny & Lucy” on their top 30. Both songs are featured on the debutalbum “The Strength/The Sound/The Songs” .
In 2004 VOLBEAT reaches the semifinals in Denmarks biggest music talent competition LIVE CONTEST.
On the 16th of December 2004 VOLBEAT went to Holland to support New Yorkers HELMET at the MELKWEG in Amsterdam ( www.melkweg.nl). 2 days la ter on the 18th of December VOLBEAT played the big JINGLE BELL ROCK SHOW in Copenhagen, Denmark. Later that evening the band was approached by the danish national tv-station TV2, requesting to use their music during their coverage of the WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS IN HANDBALL in Tunisia. Unfortunately the station later ran from their promises.
VOLBEAT were a nominee for the best live act in 2004 at www.danishmetal.dk. The bands are featured on the soundtrack to Denmarks first ever snow board movie “FROST” with the track “Pool of booze”.
VOLBEAT appeared in the legendary German Heavy Metal Magazine METAL HAMMER as the best band/ best promo cd: “Beat the meat” (2003), produced by Jacob Hansen, and later in German mag HEAVY ODER WAS as “Best upcoming band”. 1000 copies of the “Beat the meat” demo cd has been sold until summer 2005.
In 2002 VOLBEAT release their self-titled debut demo. The response was moderate, and it wasn’t until the release of their “Beat the meat” demo from 2003 that things really started happening. Songs from the “Beat the meat” demo has been aired on Swedish Radio top 30, and has been one of the ten most played songs with the track “Soulweeper” , and also the French Radio have had the track “Danny & Lucy” on their top 30. Both songs are featured on the debutalbum “The Strength/The Sound/The Songs”..
VOLBEAT’s debut album “THE STRENGTH/THE SOUND/THE SONGS” is produced by Jacob Hansen (INVOCATOR, RAUNCHY). “THE STRENGTH/THE SOUND/THE SONGS” was the critically acclaimed debut album of VOLBEAT. After a packed show at Roskilde Festival for 8000 screaming fans the album entered the Danish Album charts at # 75. A week later the album climbed to # 18, which no other Danish Heavy Rock band has been able to achieve in over 10 years! VOLBEAT set this record and bands/artists like Madonna, Pink Floyd, Eminem, Guns n Roses, Wolfmother, Black Eye Peas, Keane, Franz Ferdinand, Coldplay, Kashmir were left behind. Just to name a few!!
VOLBEAT’s style is said to be a combination of Metallic Rock’n’roll with a touch of the sixties melodic tunes. Their sound has been described as Hetfield meets Elvis-metal meets Life of agony. Now put VOLBEAT on loud and make up your own definition. One thing is certain: VOLBEAT ROCKS!!
- # 18 in the Danish Album Charts
- VOLBEAT won the award for HOPE OF THE YEAR 2006 of Denmarks most acknowledged Music Awardshow called STEPPEULVEN. Nominated in 3 categories : Hope of the year, The best vocal and The best composer.
- VOLBEAT won the award for “Best debut album” at the Danish Metal Awards 2005.
- VOLBEAT won the award the well deserved award for “Best Live Band” at the Danish Metal Awards 2006
- On April 22nd 2006 frontman Michael Poulsen had the honour to perform with some of ELVIS PRESLEY’s old studio musicians in Amager bio/ Copenhagen Denmark.
- The Strength/The Sound/The Songs was among the 10 best releases in 2005 in Denmark’s 3 biggest news papers B.T, Politiken and Jylandsposten. Others were Rammstein, Rolling Stones, Audioslave, Gorrillaz & more.
- VOLBEAT played most of 2006 throughout Europe with the Danish Dynamite Tour ft. Hatesphere and Raunchy and played festivals like Roskilde, Spot, Skanderborg, Rock Hard, Full Force, Summer Breeze
- Rock Hard Germany review 10 out of 10! (unique for a debutalbum) Soundcheck: # 6 and 10x dynamite
- Rocksound UK: 9 out of 10
- Rock Hard France: 9 out of 10, Album of the Month
- Rock Hard Spain: 9 out of 10